Glen Fyne
Home Land Ownership The Project FAQ's Contribute Contact
 
 

The Project - The idea of the "Gazetteer of Cairndow" was originated by Here We Are in 2011

It is a study to map land ownership and land use of a West Highland parish over the 20th century, with emphasis at three key points in time. Ie. 1905, when the Nobles bought all of the parish as a sporting estate and cleared the sheep for stalking; via 1950 with its post war changes but farming practices relatively traditional (and clearly remembered by older people here today); to the end of the century with multiple land owners and the changing and diverse economy.


We didn’t envisage how time consuming this would be. Creating a data base by Design is Central that would do what we wanted to do, and delineating the changing land ownership in itself took many months.


So we then decided to take just a section - Glen Fyne – to create a detailed website. This is what you see here - largely thanks to the inventiveness of Sam Coley of Samteq and the hard work of Dot Chalmers of Here We Are. However none of this would be possible without the knowledge of the land and the memory bank of many local people, in particular Alistair McCallum, Ernie MacPherson and Alice Beattie .

Archaeological detail was added to the website by Tom Addyman and Tanja Romankiewicz from Addyman Archaeology, who surveyed and recorded "Benvalagan", an old settlement at the Head of Glen Fyne.



This is not a finished project – it will be added too. Moreover (if funds are found) we will go on to extend the website to all of the parish, ie the original 35,000 acre estate bought by Sir Andrew Noble.

funders
Sheepdog Trials 2012
Alistair MacCallum and Ernie MacPherson marking hirsels.
Alistair MacCallum Tanja Romankiewicz and Tom Addyman, Addyman Archeaology.
Copyright 2021 Here We Are | login Website Design by SAMTEQ